Creating a course from scratch is the most common way people create courses, so let's start there. First, head to the Author section using the Application Switcher in the upper right. From there, click + New Course in the upper right. You'll be brought to the below screen:
Let's go over the basic options first, as labelled in the picture above:
- The Add Content button, which will add a single slide. Clicking on the arrow on the right of this will bring up the following two options:
- Add Question, which will let you write a quiz, and
- Add Cover Slide, which will let you create a custom cover slide
- Below that is the navigation pane. As you add content, each slide will show up here, and you can switch between them by clicking on them.
- Turns on Retain. See the linked article for more info.
- This will start a preview of the course, starting on the slide you're looking at.
- This button Duplicates the course
- Click Publish Course when you've finished it completely.
- Click the X in the upper right to exit the course. All your changes will automatically be saved.
Next, we'll talk about creating basic slides using the below picture as reference:
- Type in the title of each slide here
- This is where you'll type the content of the slide, as well as add images, videos, etc.
- This will make the highlighted text either Bold or italics. If no text is highlighted, then this will affect the next thing you type instead.
- Insert a hyperlink. You can link to any site, it doesn't have to be in SafetyNow
- Change highlighted text to Headers, with 1 being larger and 2 being slightly smaller. If no text is highlighted, then this will affect the next thing you type instead.
- Add a bulleted or numbered list
- Insert video, images, or audio. See this article for more details
- Enable or disable comments for this particular slide.
Feel free to make as many slides as you want. Once you're ready, move on to the next section, Course Creation: Advanced Features.